I think I might make this a little series. A little series of good things, simple joys, things that make me happy. The understated things that can make a big impact. This is my story about a rainbow beach umbrella.
Last week I went to visit my family in Noosa. The couple of days I was there visiting the weather was absolutely beautiful. For the middle of August Mother Nature was really turning it on. The weather was the kind where it was begging you to be outside by the ocean enjoying all its natural glory. I had told my two sisters that we would be leaving home at 10.15am to go on an adventure, I had no idea what we were going to do but that was part of the fun. We made a plan as we went along which involved packing books and towels, buying smoothies and heading for the beach. I had it in my mind that I wanted to find something that could provide us with a bit of shade so we could sit on the beach for as long as we wanted without getting baked, I didn’t know what this thing would be though or where I would find one.
After wandering in and out of shops I was nearly going to give up on my quest for shade until I decided to give the news agency of all places a try and I was in luck. They had four umbrellas of various colours and sizes left. When I saw that one of them was rainbow it was love at first sight. I didn’t realise at the time just how big (or how much) it was but on a slight whim I turned to my sister and said ‘yup, I’m buying it’. Pretty sure I walked out of the shop with the biggest goofiest grin on my face. Do you know how awesome a rainbow umbrella is?
At the beach my other sister said more than once the umbrella was too big (and she was possibly thinking it was a bit ridiculous) but oh my goodness, once we worked out the best way to set it up it was awesome. Sitting on the beach under that rainbow umbrella with my two sisters chatting, reading, people watching and eating lunch was such a simple, beautiful way to spend a few hours. I know it’s not always possible to just move to the beach for a day but my story isn’t about that.
Thinking about this beautiful day provides me with some lovely little reminders.
- Sometimes when you don’t make plans life can unfold in magical ways
- You may not know what you are looking for but when you find it you’ll know
- Don’t worry if you look ridiculous as long as you like something that’s all that matters
- Time spent with people you love is beautiful
- Rainbow umbrellas bring out your inner child
- Time in Mother nature can bring you back to the moment
- Don’t let money stand in your way from getting something you love
- Find and appreciate simple joys in each and every day
- Take selfies, because why not
- Sometimes a change in scenery is all you need
- Doing things you find joy in with the people you love fills your cup up
- Adventures don’t have to be big and extravagant
The little trip could be passed off as nothing all that spectacular but for the three of us I’d like to think it was a great adventure. It bought me so much joy sitting under a rainbow on the beach enjoying a beautiful day with lovely company. I’m off to the beach again this weekend and if you want to find me just look for the big rainbow umbrella.
I’ll leave you with a question. What’s one thing, person or place or combination of all three that has bought you joy in a simple and beautiful way?